Gun Foundory Building

Gun Foundry in 1876, according to the drawing of Felix Kanitz
Gun Foundry in 1876, according to the drawing of Felix Kanitz
Gun Foundry
Gun Foundry

The first building of the Gun Foundry was built by German builders in the period from 1851 to 1853 (panel 1). It is assumed that it was built as a building with industrial purpose and that it was destroyed by groundwater (panel 5).
The new building of the Gun Foundry was built on the foundations of the old one. The designer that probably designed the building was an engineer that worked at the factory, Todor Tosa Seleskovic, educated in Germany, who came to Kragujevac at the invitation of Military Minister Pavle Safarik. He worked as a mechanical and factory engineer since 1881 to 1892, when the present building of the Gun Foundry was built.
The basis of the building is post and pane structure combined with brick, concrete and iron. Façade is made of bricks with grout lines that are connected by plastered surfaces and wooden beams. The building is of rectangular shape, central nave is taller than the other two, which results in an interesting play of roofs.
The central space is in the form of a hall with a skylight, providing daylight to the building.
Side naves are separated from the central one by walls, to suit the manufacturing processes that were taking place in the building. The building is basically symmetrical, and it is decorated with rhythmic arrangement of the openings, pilasters and buttresses done in brick. The eastern facade went through most changes, but it is the most interesting part of the building, because of the wooden staircase and two chimneys that come out from the facade plane.
The building of the Gun Foundry was built in accordance with all the principles of European industrial architecture and as such, it is a representative building in these areas. In 1953, it was placed under state protection as a cultural monument of great importance. The Gun Foundry was shut down in 1968. After a few years, in 1973, the factory museum was moved there, and it exists today as the Old Gun Foundry.

Gun Foundry today
Gun Foundry today