In 1859, Milos Obrenovic ordered the Gun Foundry to produce products for industrial purposes during peacetime. At the meeting of the State Council in 1864, it was decided that, in addition to items for the military needs, military factories could manufacture items for personal use, and since 1865 to receive orders for casting of bells.
In this way, the available capacity of the factory was used to manufacture consumer items and additional extra-budgetary funds were secured, which contributed to the independence of the factory. Employees at the plant were forbidden to perform craft services outside the factory. VTZ manufactured about 70 different items: tables, candlesticks, inkstands, frames, cabinets, railings, doors, windows, wooden floors, crates, church and school bells, benches, cups, cigarette holders, mortars, coat racks, chairs, sofas, boxes, coils, screws, sleighs, cradles, rickshaws, spinning wheels, furniture, harness, saddles, bridles, various brushes, spurs, medals for outstanding shooters, hunting bags, ropes for ships, etc. (panels 13, 23, showcase 9,10). First agricultural implements were made, and there were orders for machinery for mills and lumber mills. Nevertheless, most orders were for church and school bells.
VTZ cast the entire interior of the church of Saint Rose in Kalemegdan in Belgrade. All reliefs, statues, chandeliers and candlesticks for this church in Belgrade were minted in VTZ (panel 13).
Since the beginning of the twentieth century the production of artillery and infantry ammunition for the Balkan and First World War increased, so private orders became less important. This type of production would be almost entirely stopped by 1953.
In the early postwar years, artisanship comes to the phase of reconstruction and the military factory again receives personal orders. It successfully made plows, tin stoves, cookers, all types of carts, various parts of mills, excavators, tractors, etc. were repaired. Workers went around the villages and repaired farm machinery free of charge with auxiliary tools. Following the referendum in 1953, many machines were put out of use and given to other companies. The work in civilian program in the military factory stopped then.